This may be a little embarrassing to share. But let’s just pretend we’re good girlfriends if we’re not and it will all be good. Stop reading this now if you are closely related to me or are a guy. Or if it’s just TMI for you…I won’t be offended! Seriously, exit out…this one is for my women friends!
I have shared about the Diva cup several times over the past couple of years as it’s come up in conversations with my girlfriends. People usually have a lot of questions so I thought I would blog about it! Some of my friends I’ve talked to were already using the cup and some were quite disturbed by the idea. If you’ve been curious, this post is to share my experience and maybe answer some of your questions.
My sister-in-law convinced me to get a Diva Cup a couple of years ago. Annoyed with tampon strings and a heavy period flow, I was quite intrigued. I seriously read so many reviews before finally going for it. Sure $30 was quite spendy, but they say you can use them for 5 years. So it sure saves quite a bit of money in the long run, plus it’s better for your body than a tampon.
The first month I hated it! It hurt to put in, it felt awkward and it was just quite gross/messy dealing with all the blood in there. I wanted to stop using it but stuck it out. The 2nd month I was like hmm I am getting used to this. It’s not as bad. By month three, I was sold. I am never going back to tampons! I tell everyone to give it 3 months before you give up.
Things to know about using a Diva Cup:
- There are 2 sizes. Make sure you get the right size for you. Basically it’s divided by before and after pregnancy.
- Look at pictures of the different ways to put them in. The punch-down method is my favorite.
- Still wear a panty liner. Because you may put it in wrong the first few times and it will leak.
- On my heavy days I change it mornings and night while in the shower. It’s the fastest easiest way. On my light days I only change it in the mornings.
- Wash it out with soap and hot water before putting it in again for sanitary purposes.
Seriously the Diva Cup has been life changing for me. I love not having to think about changing my tampon multiple times a day. It gives such freedom with travel—being on an airplane or a long car ride. It’s also saving me money and doing my body good.
So what do you say? Are you going to give it a go? I say do it! Your life just might be changed 😉