It seems like just about everyone is using oils these days. If you google ‘essential oils’ you might be a little overwhelmed. Where do you start? Which company do you choose? Do they actually work? I have had all of those same questions and wanted to share some of my favorite oils with you.
My mom was actually the one to get me into oils—buying and diluting several for me (thanks mom). She is a Young Living user so that’s what I got. I also had a friend who sent me some doTERRA oils. And more recently I have tried Rocky Mountain Oils. I also have some kids Plant Therapy oils. I have researched them all quite in depth and honestly like all 4 of these companies. I am not going to argue over which company is best but rather share with you what oils I regularly use and love.
Essential oils are highly concentrated non-water soluble phytochemicals that are distilled from different parts of plants. They can be distilled from leaves, roots, flowers and other parts of plants and are very potent because of their concentration of phytochemicals. There are several ways to use them. First of all I use oils in my diffuser-1 or 2 drops at a time. I dilute them with a carrier oil (normally olive oil) and use them on my skin. I sometimes ingest them. And once in awhile I just open them and smell them direct from the bottle.
There are many benefits to essential oils including: health and wellness to the body, hormone support, mental and emotional support, and DIY beauty products/cleaning supplies. Just check out Pinterest for a million ideas. When applied they reach every cell in your body within 20 minutes! It is quite impressive indeed. Here are my top faves in no particular order:
- Lavender — I am honestly not a huge fan of the smell but this one WORKS so well for my family. I use it all the time with my kids-bug bites, diaper rash, cuts, burns, and on the feet before bed. When my 4 year old gets a scrape he asks for the lavender. It’s adorable, but I know it actually helps him heal faster.
- Thieves — This is a Young Living oil and is fabulous. Any sign of sickness and we get this one diffusing and rub it on our necks and feet. We even will ingest a drop in tea twice a day. It’s pretty strong but really fights sickness well. We notice a different and often are able to avoid sickness.
- RC — This is also a Young Living oil and is great for cough/chest colds. We diffuse this one and put it on our chests.
- Oregano — This one has become a favorite for fighting any type of sickness or infections. We dilute in and put in on the spine and ingest a drop twice a day.
- Peppermint — This one helps fight headaches and tummy aches. Diluted and put on temples or the neck and stomach really seems to help.
- Serenity — This is doTERRA and I love this one before bed. It seems to bring some peace and calming and I just really enjoy the smell.
- Lemon & grapefruit — I really enjoy using these in homemade cleaning products and also putting a drop in my water tastes so great.
There are so many more I like and have yet to try! It’s really an endless endeavor of learning. I really like Young Living’s phone app-Reference Guide for Essential oils. For $8 you have so much knowledge about each oil at your fingertips. I encourage you to try oils if you haven’t but warn you that you may become an oil addict. They are so fun. I will admit there are some seasons where I am using daily and others where it slows down a bit! But I do enjoy using them and believe they have improved the quality of my life.
What about you? Have you tried essential oils? What are some of your favorites? I would love to hear from you!
Camille is a wife, mom of 2 babies under 4 and currently lives in Hawaii. She is passionate about seeking and following Jesus, health & fitness, and travel. You can also add being a life coach, speaking Spanish and coffee to the list. She writes about her journey in motherhood, life overseas, and lessons learned along the way.